By surprise, my summer as officially begun. I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned on my blog, but one of my day jobs is hanging out at a rad after school program, where I’m allowed to teach Elementary kids to be badasses via vegan cooking and nutrition club, DIY, sewing, etc. Due to the flooding in my city, the school board has elected to close up early ’til September, which leaves me a little lost and weirded out this week.
In the midst of all that though, I decided I would bake something that tastes like summer. That’s where these muffins come in! For a fresh, summery vibe, I’ve combined the flavours of lemon, raspberries, and pomegranate and kind of want to eat these for breakfast every day.
OH MY GOD I JUST REALIZED IT’S A MONDAY. MUFFIN MONDAY MUFFIN MONDAY MUFFIN MONDAY MUFFIN MONDAYSSSSSS!
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup cane sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup melted sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla
juice of two lemons
1 cup fresh raspberries (if using frozen, consider using slightly less almond milk)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp pomegranate juice
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1. Prepare muffin pan and preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Throw on some Beach House if you want your kitchen timesss to get real dreamy.
2. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in one big bowl.
3. Make a well, and add all other ingredients aside from raspberries. When you have thoroughly combined muffin batter, you can then fold in the raspberries gently.
4. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. My favourite way is with an ice cream scoop so they look fairly consistent.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until slightly golden on top and toothpick comes out clean.
6. Meanwhile, make your pomegranate glaze by whisking together your powdered sugar, pomegranate juice, and melted coconut oil.
7. When muffins are completely cool, drizzle on glaze (I use a fork with very contrived JACKSON POLLOCK motions), and eat the hell out of them.
I enjoyed one of these babely muffins out on my patio with a cup of Jasmine Peach Silver Needle White tea. They went perfectly together, and that earful of a tea name makes me sound real pretentious and fancy.
Hope everyone is having a solid day. MUFFIN MONDAY!