Recently, I had the opportunity to teach a holiday baking class, replicating all of our holiday favorites! I hadn’t made these in a couple of years for some reason, and am so happy I took the opportunity to do it again. Just FYI, if you are a total laze & do not fill like rolling out a bunch of little tart shells, there are definitely options available at most grocery stores through the magic of genetic modification if you check your frozen/baking aisles! Even so, this recipe comes together pretty quickly!
I hope that you enjoy my vegan take on butter tarts! Let me know what you think in the comments below! ❤
2.5 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup Earth Balance
4-6 tbsp ice cold water
1 tsp vinegar
pinch of salt
2 tbsp ground flax seed
6 tbsp warm water
1 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup golden raisins
6 tbsp vegan margarine
1 tbsp bourbon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: Add additional 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil 2 cupcake tins. |
2. In large bowl, sift together dry ingredients for crust. 1/2 tbsp at a time, add the margarine, cutting into flour until mixture appears pebbly.
3. In a cup, combine ice water with vinegar, drizzling into dry mixture by the tbsp.
4. Roll dough into a bowl, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
5. Stamp out circles with a cookie cutter, gently placing into oiled cupcake tin cavities.
6. Bake for ten minutes and cool before adding filling. Leave oven heated at 325 degrees.
1. Put golden raisins into medium bowl. Cover with very hot water, and set aside for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Pulse flax seed & water in food processor until well combined.
3. In a small pot on medium low heat, combine sugar, maple syrup, flax&water mixture, vegan margarine, until sugar is dissolved. Turn off heat, and stir in vanilla extract, golden raisins, bourbon, and nuts, if desired.
4. Distribute filling w/a tbsp, careful not to overfill, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges of tarts are slightly golden.
Allow to cool before enjoying.