Hi I don’t know how to describe this soup because I set out wanting a broccoli & cheddar soup & then I saw a cauliflower at the grocery store & needed it roasted & in my mouth immediately & then thought about how good that would taste with some baked potatoes & so here we are one run on sentence later. Really, it’s just really some sort of baked potato-roasted cauliflower- broccoli & cheese- soup. With croutons on top because carbs. I don’t even know. This was the kind of day where I came home from work just so ready & pumped to spend two hours on soup because it feels like -30 degrees Celsius outside. However, you really could probably cut down prep time by skipping out on the roasting & baking, though it won’t be as roasty/decadent. Anyways, here is what I did from start to finish to make this soup happen! I hope if you try it, you enjoy it as much as meeeeeee!
1.5 pounds red potatoes (about 3-4)
6 cups broccoli, chopped
3 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 litres fave vegetable broth
1/2 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
2 tbsp oil +1 tbsp oil (1 tbsp for cauliflower)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
+2 cups your fave queso recipe *
Optional: green onions, for garnish
Optional: paprika, for garnish
Optional: croutons, for garnish
*My easy queso recipe (makes a perfect batch for this recipe):
1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
1 cup vegan cheese shreds
1. If you want an extra cozy soup with roasted veggies, preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit for your cauliflower & potatoes!
2. Pierce your potatoes with a fork, toss chopped cauliflower in 1 tbsp oil & desired salt. Place on sheet pans, and bake for an hour. Listen to a podcast & cuddle your dog. Let cool a few minutes after removing from oven before handling, unless you’re the DANGEROUS TYPE. (I have literally like no fingerprints/sensitivity to heat these days). Chop up baked potatoes. Leave the skins, or don’t. I’m not the boss of you.
3. Meanwhile, prep your queso and set aside. If you wanna use my recipe, start by heating non dairy milk on medium high heat, adding margarine until melted. Add the rest of your ingredients except vegan cheese shreds, whisking as it starts to thicken. Lower heat, and whisk in cheese shreds until completely melted. Remove from heat.
4. In a large soup pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Cook onions & garlic until they start to brown. Add your bay leaf & dried thyme & cook another 30 seconds
5. Toss in your potatoes, cauliflower, and broccoli. Add more oil if you’d like, just kind of cooking & tossing & combining all the things for like two minutes.
6. Deglaze all this stuff with your broth. Throw in lemon juice at this time too. Cover & bring to a boil. You’ll know your soup is ready when you pierce your broccolis (and other veggies if you haven’t already cooked them in the oven) and they are soft enough to almost come apart).
7. Bring to a simmer and add your 1/2 cup unsweetened milk. Add also your queso. Mix thoroughly.
8. Take roughly 1/3rd of your soup, and put it in your blender (or another container if using an immersion blender). Blend until creamy, then add back to the rest of your babely, chunky soup. THAT’S FUCKING IT. YOU’VE DONE IT.
I garnished mine with homemade rosemary thyme croutons, Earth Island shreds, green onions, and paprika & it was aces as frik.
Also, I just wanted to note that if you’re even reading, thank you. I think I rambled a little bit a few months ago about how I have a little difficulty with privilege in the vegan community, and how it’s distanced me a little from blogging, writing recipes, and generally challenged me in how to serve my community effectively. I’ve been having a great time teaching cooking classes locally, baking via Blue Rose, and doing fun things, and you are always welcome to keep up on Instagram. Please never be afraid to say hi!