Oh hi hey hello there. Upon seeing this delightful snack in your feed, you might say “WOW THOSE PROTEIN BALLS LOOK DELICIOUS” and you wouldn’t be wrong, even though I vehemently cringe at anything labelled *~HeALtHy EnErGy BaLLs*~ and refuse to call them by their name. While browsing Pinterest for some more creative weekday snacks the other day I nearly threw my phone across the room after one too many recipes for *~LOW CARB RECIPES FOR WEIGHT LOSS*~ under my suggested posts.
I have to say, living (finally) happily in a large body, trying my best to avoid garbage diet culture after a lifetime of deprived eating habits trying to make myself smaller, turning to the internet for vegan recipe inspo is hardddddd. For every incredible vegan cheesecake and lasagna recipe, there are also like ten people writing about watermelon cleanses and how VEGAN & KETO ISNT IMPOSSIBLE, B/C COCONUT OIL. Literally, SO RUDE to turn my favourite oil for chocolate chip cookies into a health food. HOW FUCKING DARE YOU?!
ANYWAYS. There is a recipe for a delightful treat buried in here, and I just had to get my feels out first. How is it that I’m so embittered by diet culture, that I feel weird for making myself a satisfying, midday pick me up snack? I guess I just don’t want this to come off as a some shitty ~DID U EVEN COUNT UR MACROS TODAY BRUH~ type post because we all deserve better. These are sweet, crunchy, and a little salty too for good measure and I hope you like them and thanks for putting up with my bullshit. ♥️
Delicious AF Peanut Butter Bites
- 2 cups your fave cereal (I’ve used Chex, and also sometimes oats!)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds/nuts of choice
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (or more nuts!)
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For optional chocolate drizzle:
- One cup non dairy chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- In food processor, grind cereal/oats until fine. (Add nuts at this point too if you’re not lazy like me and don’t buy PRE GROUND ALMONDS)
- Next, add ground nuts, protein powder, peanut butter, syrup, vanilla, and salt
- Scrape mixture into a bowl and let chill in fridge for about half an hour, or until it doesn’t stick to your hands tbh
- Remove from fridge and roll into balls by the tbsp onto a parchment lined sheet. This recipe makes 24-28 depending on how inaccurately you measure
- Place in freezer for about 15 minutes or until chilled/solid.
If you HATE FUN, and choose not to add chocolate, store these in the fridge and enjoy all week. If you like to party:
- Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler (if microwaving, increments of 30 seconds and stirring)
- Whisk in coconut oil until the coconut oil blends in all liquid like
- Drizzle this all over those peanut butter bites. PROTIP: if you’re particularly reckless with your drizzling, you might end up globing some chocolate onto the parchment and have BONUS chocolate bark.
- CHILL AGAIN in freezer just until chocolate hardens, then you’re all good to store in the fridge and enjoy!