It has been a MINUTE since I’ve baked anything new, on account of we’ve been a little obsessed with homemade ice cream this summer!
However, with some recently cozy rainy weather, and a surplus of lemon flavoured coconut yogurt in our fridge, it seemed a perfect time for a kitchen experiment! This loaf is delicious, with the texture of pound cake. With all of the lemon juice and notes of bergamot from the Earl Grey, it tastes somehow bright!
In order to get the FULL EARL GREY EXPERIENCE, I always suggest steeping/infusing your ingredients the night before! However, if you like disappointment, FEEL FREE TO RUSH YOUR WAY THROUGH, GEEZ. (Just kidding, it’ll probably be fine).
Hope y’all enjoy- this makes the perfect treat with your morning caffeine fix!
- 1 1/4 cups Almond Milk+ 2 tbsp Earl Grey tea (Feel free to sub one teabag per tbsp)
- 1 cup sugar
- Additional 1 tbsp of Earl Grey
- 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 cup non dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk earl grey mixture***
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
***for a super lemony glaze, instead sub this with 1 tbsp lemon juice!
THE NIGHT BEFORE….
- Before you get started, heat up almond milk and 2 tbsp Earl Grey tea leaves in a small pot on medium heat. When milk starts to darken, remove from heat and allow to steep. You will need time for the milk to cool- I like to allow it to steep overnight, leaving in the fridge, then strain before use.
- Pulse remaining tbsp Earl Grey tea in a coffee grinder or food processor, and add to sugar.
TIME TO BAKE…..
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease loaf pan (9×5 inches)
- Zest both lemons and toss zest into the sugar to scent it
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together Earl Grey almond milk, yogurt, oil, sugar, vanilla, and juice of your two lemons.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, about 1/2 cup at a time, whisking out any lumps
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean. Allow to cool.
Once cooled, remove from pan and place on cooling rack with plate underneath. Then whisk together icing sugar, almond milk, and vanilla until you’ve created a glaze. Pour over loaf and allow to set.