Oh hi, hey, hello there! I hope you’re hanging in during this trash fire of a year that we call 2020, wherever you might be reading from. If you saw a picture of ice cream, and that’s what brought you here, just go ahead and scroll along, you’ll find the recipe soon enough.
I just want to acknowledge the extreme privilege I have by even having the time/space/resources to be playing with food right now. Time spent with food has always been a huge source of comfort and healing for me as a constantly anxious human. If it’s your thing too, I hope you can enjoy some ice cream. And if it’s not, or just not possible for you right now- I see you, and hope you’re able to take care in other ways that work for you 💖
I’ve been committed to my little patio garden this summer, and my mint game has been STRONG. Like- I’m not even sure if I did anything right or if it’s just the wild amount of rain we’ve had all summer.
I was thinking for a bit about what to do with ALL THIS MINT, and then a good friend mentioned she was enjoying some mint chip ice cream and I immediately needed some. The varieties of mint I chose were peppermint, and spearmint. Using fresh mint, instead of extracts allows for a gorgeous, refreshing herbal taste as opposed to like you were punched in the face with a frozen wad of toothpaste. However- feel free to add some if that’s what you’re going for.
I’ve gone with cookies in this recipe, but you can easily swap the cookies for other add ins, such as some fudge-y brownie pieces, or 2 cups of your favourite chocolate chips.
Disclaimer- I used both a high powered blender, as well as an ice cream machine. If you soak your cashews real good, and blend for quite some time, you can probably get away with a less powerful blender. Google is also a wonderful place for *~how to make ice cream without a machine*~. Proceed at your own discretion- just a heads up! Also- I let the mixture cool over night before preparing, so the gratification is NOT instant just FYI.
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk (28 fl oz total)
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 4+ hours (or boiling water for 20 mins)
- 3/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves, divided in half
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp xanthum gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups chopped cookies of your choice (I used Oreos, they were amazing. I should have cut them smaller though).
- In a medium sized saucepan, on medium heat, combine your coconut milk, sugar, 1/4 cup of mint leaves, coconut oil, vanilla, xanthum, and salt. Stirring occasionally, allow this come to a boil, the remove from heat. Set aside for half an hour to allow the mint leaves to steep.
- When mixture has steeped, add this to the blender with your soaked cashews, and the other 1/4 cup of mint. Blend until completely smooth and no cashew chunks or leafy bits remain (it took about 6-8 minutes in my Vitamix).
- Pour into a sealable container, and allow to chill in the fridge. I like leaving this overnight, but I’d say it would take at least a solid 8 hours to chill completely. Meanwhile, keep your chopped cookies in the freezer, this will make them easier to add in later!
- When mixture is completely cool, follow the instructions on your ice cream maker to continue! Something I find universal in my experience- always turn on the machine and get it moving before pouring in the ice cream mix to avoid a big ol frozen clump at the bottom, and no add ins while you’re churning!
- When your ice cream looks kinda like soft serve and is not at all runny, put it in a freezer safe container, mixing in your cookie pieces as you go!
- If you like a hard scoop, a couple hours in the freezer will do it, and you’re free to enjoy!
Note: If you’re looking for the brownie in the picture- it’s from a great recipe that can be found here on noracooks. Sometimes a classic like a fudgey brownie doesn’t need a zillion folks trying to reinvent it!)
We enjoyed this ice cream tonight post charcuterie, and I might dig into some later to watch The Watchmen. The series is REALLY OUTRAGEOUSLY GREAT by the way. I have to admit that I was a little hesitant when I knew nothing about it, and could only muster memories of the trash fire movie from 2009 with the worst hologram of a naked blue man I’ve ever seen (cannot confirm or deny whether this is the only hologram of a naked blue man I’ve ever seen). But wowowowowow. If you’re curious, this piece from Bitch Media would have convinced me to give it a watch if I weren’t already!
Also, what media are you consuming right now? I’m going to list a couple other things I’ve had going recently! Maybe we can chat about that.
- Umma’s Table (Yeon-sik Hong, Janet Hong)
- Goldie Vance (Hope Larson, Jackie Ball, Brittney Williams, Noah Hayes, Sarah Stern, Jim Campbell))
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark– R.I.P Michelle McNamara you were too good for this world and way better than all the cops. THE BOOK is such good true crime writing too- probably the best that I have read!
- I May Destroy You
Okay, I have dogs hovering over me needing a scritch, thanks for reading, hope you have some ice cream bye!